Entrapment Protection Devices
Entrapment protection devices ensure that a motor operated rolling door or grille will not close on an object. If an object enters path of closure, the entrapment protection device will stop the door or grille from closing on it and return it to the fully open position.
Primary Entrapment Protection Devices
- ELR Electric Sensing Edge – Requires a physical connection between the bottom bar sensing edge device and the motor operator.
- Wireless Sensing/Weather Edge Seal – Requires continuous monitoring.
- Photo Eyes – NEMA 4x or 1 photo eye sensors.
- Light Curtain - Attaches to the guide offering minimal disruption and a clean look.
Any contact with the edge or interference with the sensor beams during the close cycle causes the door to immediately stop downward travel and reverse direction to the fully open position.
In addition to enhanced safety, having a primary entrapment device allows your door to operate using momentary contact to close. This means that a person can press the close button once and it will close without constant pressure.
Optional Secondary Entrapment Protection Devices
These entrapment protection devices may be used in conjunction with a set of primary entrapment photo eyes or with constant pressure to close operation.
- Electric Sensing Edge with Wireless Edge Kit – Eliminates the need for a physical traveling electric cord connection between the bottom bar sensing edge device and the motor operator.
- Sensing/Smoke Seal Edge – Is not continuously monitored, but provides automatic reversing control through an automatic sensing switch within a neoprene or rubber astragal extending the full width of the door’s bottom bar.
What if my motor operated door does not have a primary entrapment protection device?
Per UL 325-2010, motor operated doors without a monitored and properly functioning primary entrapment protection device will only function by constant pressure to close operation. This means that a person must physically push the close button the entire time until the door is closed.